With the season beginning soon, and many fantasy drafts planned for the next few weekends, it’s time to prep for your 2023 Fantasy Football team. Here is my advice/predictions as it relates to quarterbacks:
- Numero Uno – There is no better QB prospect this season than Patrick Mahomes, the stud who has lit up the league the last couple years. His numbers are consistent, even a step down would still land him near the top of the list, and you can trust in Mahomes. Pick Patrick (and a few other Chiefs, like Kelce and Butker) to start for your team; you’ll be thanking him during your playoffs. The only other real #1 option is Josh Allen, so pick your favorite and roll the dice.
- Teamwork – While you don’t want to get too many players from one team in case they have a bad game, a lot of top tier QBs have a top tier wideout to go with them, and picking the pair might not be a bad idea. Mahomes-Kelce, Herbert-Williams, Hurts-Brown, Allen-Diggs, Jackson-Odell, Dak-Lamb, Cousins-Jefferson, Burrow-Chase, Tua-Hill; you could do much worse than to have these duos on your team.
- Red Zone – And speaking of Jackson, there’s reason to believe that Lamar could have a killer year. The first reason is his new offensive coordinator, who brings a high powered throwing attack to the team, but there’s also the fact that Lamar is simply an excellent QB, when healthy, is surrounded by a solid roster, with coaches who are hell-bent on winning. With Odell & Zay on the team as well, the sky’s the limit for this versatile quarterback. He could reach 30 total TDs, and, with the added rushing aspect of his game and a ton of yardage, that’s nothing to sneeze at.
- Father Time – But now for the bad news; not every famous QB deserves a spot on top of your fantasy depth chart. The older they get the more their skill falls off, that’s just proven fact, so be mindful of the senior class. Rodgers & Stafford had poor years, and you would be gambling on a resurgence if you take them too high, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Carr and JimmyG step back with them. Guys like Tannehill, Goff, and Baker aren’t even that old, but their moment may have come & gone; father time is undefeated.
- Bounce Back – There are a few signal callers who aren’t as coveted as perhaps they once were, but there’s a chance they bounce back up to the top, so be there to nab them if you think they might trend upward. Dak could have a great year, he always puts up numbers, even when he’s unexciting , but perhaps he’s not a surprise any longer, so someone will take him too high; get one of the guys who might come a little cheaper. Cousins, Daniel Jones, Watson, Wilson, Fields; you could do worse than someone from this group, just be willing to wait a while before making the move.
- The Untouchables – Unfortunately, every year there is a group of guys who you just simply can’t draft, at least not until they’ve proven themselves surprisingly worthy, and in that case you just pick them up from the waiver wire. Kyler Murray, Mac Jones, Sam Howell, any of the rookies; they don’t have enough talent around them to score enough points for you to consider, not yet anyway.
Hope this helps, and good luck!